California Free Cell Phones
One would think that the trendsetting state of California would be at the forefront of the free government cell phone program. But it wasnâ€™t until late 2012 that the first company, ReachOut Wireless, entered the state. Unfortunately, when they did, the program had a small monthly fee associated with it. However, this still was much less than a traditional plan sets a phone user back.
But now Lifeline cell phone giant Assurance Wireless has joined the battle for distributing free phones to needy Californians. And better news yet, not only is Assurance Wireless offering the program for at no cost, but ReachOut Wireless is also doing so now.
This is great news for the not-so-Golden State with their unemployment levels higher than national average, and run by one of the most dysfunctional governments in the country.
These too companies are two of the big three, with Safelink Wireless missing. We would not doubt that they and others begin operations in the state shortly.
Providers in California:
How to Qualify
There are two ways to qualify, and they are a bit different than other states.
Method 1 Program-Based – You can qualify if you or another person in your household is enrolled in any one of the following public assistance programs:
- Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
- Federal Public Housing Assistance or Section 8
- Food Stamps or Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
- Women, Infants and Children Program (WIC)
- Healthy Families Category A
- National School Lunch Program (NSLP)
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
- California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids (CalWORKs)
- Stanislaus County Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids (StanWORKs)
- Welfare-to-Work (WTW)
- Greater Avenues for Independence (GAIN)
Method 2 Income-Based – You may also qualify if your total annual household gross income is at or less than annual income limits for your household size:
|Household Size||Annual Income Limits|
|For each additional member||$6,100|
Note: Effective from 06/01/13 to 05/31/14
Latest News for California:
- Free government cell phone war heats up in California: Assurance Wireless enters the state (3/11/2013)
- California joins the 21st century, finally approves free government cell phone program (12/12/2012)
- Free government cell phone program creeps into California (12/8/2011)
- Lifeline Cell Phone Service Comes to California (8/5/2011)
- $3.7 Billion in Income Could Be Generated for the Poor by Making Lifeline-Subsidized Free Cell Phones Available to All Eligible Americans (2/24/2011)
See more cell phone news.
If you have any other questions, please refer to the links in the sidebar.