NOTICE: Thanks to the new Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP), you can now get Unlimited Data AND a free government cell phone at the same time. For more info, click here
Free Android smartphone, unlimited talk, unlimited texts, and up to 10GB data.
Assurance Wireless Lifeline and ACP plans are currently available in Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia and California.
If you qualify for an Assurance Wireless government phone, and requirements vary from state to state, you will get a free Android smartphone, unlimited talk and unlimited text messages plus up to 10GB of data at absolutely no cost.
Lifeline (other states)*
Assurance makes note that its offers may vary by state. For example, we checked the Texas Lifeline plan and saw that it offers unlimited talk, not just 1000 minutes. Check the Assurance website to see the current offer in your state.
10GB mobile hotspot data
Lifeline + ACP
Free Android smartphone
10GB mobile hotspot data
Assurance Wireless is one of the biggest and fastest growing companies offering free cell phones through the federal Lifeline Assistance program, and it continues to grow rapidly because it is a subsidiary of T-Mobile. They are the second largest Lifeline company, trailing only Safelink Wireless. Although with their new corporate owners and the aggressive plans they’ve recently released, Safelink needs to be looking over its shoulder.
Are You Eligible?
Eligibility requirements for an Assurance phone and minutes often vary slightly from state to state, but you probably qualify for a phone from the company if you participate in any of the following government aid programs:
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (Food Stamps or SNAP)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Federal Public Housing Assistance (Section 8)
- Veterans Pension and Survivor's Benefit.
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance (BIA)
- Tribally Administered Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (Tribal TANF)
- Tribal Head Start (only those households meeting its income qualifying standard)
- Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR)
If you are not on a government assistance program that is Lifeline-approved for your state, you can still qualify if your household income meets certain government guidelines in your area — namely, if it is at our below 135-150% (may vary upon state) of the federal poverty level. Submit your Assurance Wireless application online or via mail, or call the Assurance Wireless phone number to see if you qualify.
How to qualify for the Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP)
The rules for ACP eligibility are the same in every state. A household qualifies if:
- A household is eligible for the Affordable Connectivity Program if the household income is at or below 200% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines, or if a member of the household meets at least one of the criteria below:
- Participates in any of the following assistance programs: SNAP, Medicaid, Federal Public Housing Assistance, Veterans Pension or Survivor Benefits, SSI, WIC, or Lifeline;
- Participates in any of the following Tribal specific programs: Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance, Tribal TANF, Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations, or Tribal Head Start (income based);
- Participates in the Free and Reduced-Price School Lunch Program or the School Breakfast Program, including through the USDA Community Eligibility Provision;
- Received a Federal Pell Grant during the current award year; or
- Meets the eligibility criteria for a participating broadband provider’s existing low-income internet program.
Be Sure to Compare Assurance Wireless with Other Options in Your State
This is just one of the many Lifeline Cell Phone providers in your state. Some states have over a dozen cell phone providers to choose from. Plans and phone choices often vary substantially between providers and you owe it to yourself to look at them all. To begin your comparison shopping, please see our phone providers by state page and click on your state.
Contact Assurance Wireless
Further Reading on Assurance Wireless
- Assurance Wireless News
- What other choices are there than Assurance Wireless?
- How to add Assurance Wireless Minutes
- Assurance Wireless Reviews
- What Assurance Wireless Plans are Available?
- What’s asked in the Assurance Wireless Application?