Can I use my Safelink Wireless SIM card in another phone?

< Back to all Reader Questions

Q: I need a better phone than the cheap one Safelink gave me. I’m wondering if I can get a new phone that I really like and then pop the SIM card and into it instead?

A. You cannot do that because a SIM card becomes locked to a Tracfone phone (sister company of Safelink Wireless, where they get the phones) the moment the phone they sent you is powered up. After than, it becomes “unusable” in any other phone or with any other provider.

You can call Safelink and see what phones they have that you can upgrade to, but you’re probably going to have to shell out some money to get an upgrade.

We’d be interested in your experience? Please enter a comment below if you have additional information.



  1. Tim McCarthy says

    I have a Safe link phone that got dropped by accident into a puddle. Problem is this is I think my 3rd replacement. I don’t want to hassle anyone with Safe link so I want to purchase a cheap tracfone. Will my Safe link Sim work in a cheap Tracfone?

  2. dixie pittenger says

    My trac phone got knocked into a cup of coffee and it doesnt work. Where can i go to get another government trac phone with a keyboard to it. thanks dixie

  3. dixie pittenger says

    where can i get a new government trac phone that has the key board for text messages. Thanks Dixie Pittenger

  4. Jane Lewis says

    My safe link phone is so old it just won’t work properly any more. How do I get a new phone replacement?

    • Matt says

      You can go to any family dollar store or walmart and buy a tracfone of your liking. Then call safe link and ask for the service to be transferred to it. Has to be tracfone not net10 or straightalk

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *