The good news is that 94% of Virginians were employed as of May 2011. The bad news is that still leaves 6% who want jobs and can’t find them.
Thanks to the government’s popular Lifeline phone service program it’s going to be easier for unemployed people in the Old Dominion to find the jobs they want. Because the program offers the financially disadvantaged cell phones and monthly minutes at no charge (as long as you qualify, that is). That means you can call potential employers and they can call you back.
Even better, Virginians have options when it comes to Lifeline. At this point, three of the largest providers, plus a regional provider, do business in the state.
Free Cell Phone Providers in Virginia:
Here’s a list of all the Lifeline Assistance free government cell phones in Virginia. They all offer different plans with different numbers of minutes, different refill options, and serve different geographic areas. So click through them all and find the plan that’s best for you.
Lifeline Discount Companies in Virginia
If you qualify for Lifeline Assistance, but you find that none of the companies offer free government cell phones where you live, you have another option. The companies below, while not offering free cell phone plans, do offer substantial Lifeline discounts off their regular mobile phone plans in Virginia:
How to Qualify for a Lifeline Phone in Virginia
You are eligible if you receive benefits from any of these programs in Virginia:
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (Food Stamps or SNAP)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Federal Public Housing Assistance (Section 8)
- Veterans Pension and Survivor's Benefit.
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance (BIA)
- Tribally Administered Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (Tribal TANF)
- Tribal Head Start (only those households meeting its income qualifying standard)
- Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR)
You may also qualify if your Total Household Income is at or under 135% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines, the calculated levels you can see in the chart below:
|Income Based Eligibility for Virginia|
|Members in Household||Annual income|
|For each additional member add $6,048 annually|
Latest News for Virginia:
If you have any other questions, please refer to the links in the sidebar.