Tennessee has a lot to be grateful for, because it’s weathering the national economic problems better than most states.
That being said, many of the Volunteer State’s cities and rural areas are suffering through double-digit unemployment. Too many Tennesseans need jobs and can’t find them and many others have jobs that don’t pay enough to cover the monthly bills.
The good news? Four of the major Lifeline phone service companies are in Tennessee, so you can get a free government cell phone from any of them. Check them all and compare. The individual phones may differ, but the plans and free minutes will be the same.
Lifeline Discount Companies in Tennesee
If you qualify for Lifeline Assistance, but you find that none of the companies offer free government cell phones where you live, you have another option. The companies below, while not offering free cell phone plans, do offer substantial Lifeline discounts off their regular mobile phone plans in Tennessee:
Lifeline Cell Phone Eligibility in Tennessee:
You are eligible if you receive benefits from any of these programs in Tennessee:
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (Food Stamps or SNAP)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Federal Public Housing Assistance (Section 8)
- Veterans Pension and Survivor's Benefit.
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance (BIA)
- Tribally Administered Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (Tribal TANF)
- Tribal Head Start (only those households meeting its income qualifying standard)
- Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR)
In Tennessee, you may also qualify if your Total Household Income is at or under 135% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines. We’ve done the calculations; please see chart below:
|Income Based Eligibility for Tennessee|
|Members in Household||Annual income|
|For each additional member add $6,048 annually|
Latest News for Tennessee:
If you have any other questions, please refer to the links in the sidebar.