Rhode Island may be the smallest state, but it faces the same big problems that the rest of the country faces.
The economy of Providence-New Bedford-Fall River, the state’s only significant metropolitan area, shrunk by of -0.4% in the first half of 2011. And as of March 2011 the state had the nation’s fourth highest rate of unemployment.
The state’s nickname is The Ocean State and that’s appropriate because its good citizens are drowning in this economy.
Luckily, the Lifeline program is there to help unemployed and other unfortunate residents of the state. Rhode Island is blessed with a large number of players in the Lifeline program, all of whom offer government cell phones and free monthly minutes.
Free Cell Phone Providers in Rhode Island:
Here’s a list of all the Lifeline Assistance free government cell phones in Rhode Island. They all offer different plans with different numbers of minutes, different refill options, and serve different geographic areas. So click through them all and find the plan that’s best for you.
- Access Wireless
- American Assistance
- Assurance Wireless
- Blue Jay Wireless
- Cintex Wireless
- EnTouch Wireless
- Life Wireless
- Q Link Wireless
- Safelink Wireless
- Tempo Communications
- True Wireless
Free Cell Phone Eligibility in Rhode Island:
You are eligible if you receive benefits from any of these programs in Rhode Island:
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (Food Stamps or SNAP)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Federal Public Housing Assistance (Section 8)
- Veterans Pension and Survivor's Benefit.
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance (BIA)
- Tribally Administered Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (Tribal TANF)
- Tribal Head Start (only those households meeting its income qualifying standard)
- Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR)
Rhode Island residents may also qualify if your Total Household Income is at or under 135% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines. See chart below:
|Income Based Eligibility for Rhode Island|
|Members in Household||Annual income|
|For each additional member add $5,832 annually|
Latest News for Rhode Island:
See more cell phone news.
If you have any other questions, please refer to the links in the sidebar.