You might expect a cell phone giant like Verizon to offer a Lifeline Discount in every state, but they don’t. In fact, you might be surprised to find out how limited the company’s Lifeline offerings are.
Verizon’s Lifeline Discount is only available in four states: Iowa, New York, North Dakota and Wisconsin. And they make the point of saying that it may not be available in all areas of each state.
Verizon’s Lifeline Discount, if you qualify, is $9.25 per month. Verizon’s only Lifeline Discount plan costs $33.99 per month (minus the $9.25 discount). It includes:
- Basic Voice Mail with Message Waiting Indicator, Caller ID, Call Waiting, 3-Way Calling, Call Forwarding and No Answer/Busy Transfer at no additional charge. (It’s important to note that other services, such as data service, text messaging, handset insurance, and roadside assistance are not available as part of Lifeline.
- 400 Anytime Minutes and 1,000 Mobile to Mobile Calling minutes within the Local Coverage Area. (Another important note: A charge of 45¢ per minute applies to incoming and outgoing calls made after the allowance is exhausted. Unfortunately, roaming outside the Local Coverage Area is prohibited and the plan doesn’t include any Night & Weekend minutes.
A few more important notes on Verizon’s Lifeline Discount plan:
- As we always like to point out, discounts may vary depending on the state in which you reside.
- If you live on federally-recognized Tribal lands, you may qualify for additional Lifeline Discounts of up to $25 per month.
- Finally, be aware that no deposit is required to begin Lifeline service. However, if you use an excessive number of minutes and run up a substantial bill, you may be required to pay what you owe in a timely manner. The penalty for not bringing your account current? You may have your account suspended or terminated.
Latest News on Verizon Wireless: