Free Government Cell Phones in Texas
The Texas economy is the envy of 49 other states. Hundreds of thousands of jobs have been added in the last few years and people have emigrated from other states to get them.
Unfortunately, when youâ€™re unemployed, underemployed or otherwise in a bad financial situation, the fact that everyone else has a job can make things seem even worse.
Despite the job growth, the Lone Star state has an unemployment rate of 8.0% in May 2011. And considering the stateâ€™s huge population, that means a lot of people are competing for every job.
Luckily, you can get a free cell phone from the government to help you get in contact with employers, and to simply have for emergencies and other important calls. That’s right, the Lifeline phone service program will help let you get a free cell phone and free minutes from several vendors in your state:
- Assurance Wireless
- Safelink Wireless
- Reachout Wireless
- Budget Mobile
- True Wireless
- Life Wireless
- StandUp Wireless
You are eligible if you receive benefits from any of these programs in Texas:
- Federal Public Housing Assistance / Section 8
- Health Benefit Coverage under Children’s Health Insurance Plan (CHIP)
- Low Income Home Energy Assistance(LIHEAP)
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (Food Stamps)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
You may also qualify if your Total Household Income is at or under 150% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines (see eligibility)
Latest News for Texas:
- Business booming at TAG Mobile: Company offers free government cell phones in six new states (2/26/2013)
If you have any other questions, please refer to the links in the sidebar.