Rhode Island may be the smallest state, but it faces the same big problems that the rest of the country faces.
The economy of Providence-New Bedford-Fall River, the state’s only significant metropolitan area, shrunk by of -0.4% in the first half of 2011. And as of March 2011 the state had the nation’s fourth highest rate of unemployment.
The state’s nickname is The Ocean State and that’s appropriate because its good citizens are drowning in this economy.
Luckily, the Lifeline program is there to help unemployed and other unfortunate residents of the state. Rhode Island is blessed with a large number of players in the Lifeline program, all of whom offer government cell phones and free monthly minutes.
Free Cell Phone Providers in Rhode Island:
Here’s a list of all the Lifeline Assistance free government cell phones in Rhode Island. They all offer different plans with different numbers of minutes, different refill options, and serve different geographic areas. So click through them all and find the plan that’s best for you.
- Access Wireless
- American Assistance
- Assurance Wireless
- Blue Jay Wireless
- Budget Mobile
- Cintex Wireless
- Life Wireless
- Q Link Wireless
- Safelink Wireless
- Reachout Wireless
- Tempo Communications
- True Wireless
- Yourtel Wireless
Free Cell Phone Eligibility in Rhode Island:
You are eligible if you receive benefits from any of these programs in Rhode Island:
- Family Independence Program (FIP)
- General Public Assistance (GPA)
- National School Lunch (free program only)
- Low Income Home Energy Assistance (LIHEAP)
- Federal Housing Assistance (Section 8)
- Medicaid (Title 19 Including Husky & Head Start)
- Rhode Island Medical Assistance Program
- Rhode Island Medical Assistance Program (MAP)
- Rhode Island Pharmaceutical Assistance to Elderly (RIPAE)
- RI Works
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (Food Stamps)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF)
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance
- Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations
- Tribally-Administered Temporary Assistance for Needy Families
Rhode Island residents may also qualify if your Total Household Income is at or under 150% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines. See chart below:
|Income Based Eligibility for Rhode Island|
|Members in Household||Annual income||Monthly Income|
|For each additional member add $4,160 annual or $347 monthy|
Latest News for Rhode Island:
See more cell phone news.
If you have any other questions, please refer to the links in the sidebar.