Life Wireless Free Cell Phones and Service
Life Wireless is a regional cell phone provider that is accepted by the U.S. government’s Lifeline phone service to provide free cell phones and free airtime to the states of Arkansas, Arizona, Georgia, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Missouri, Minnesota, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Nevada, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Rhode Island, Puerto Rico, South Carolina, Texas, Utah, Wisconsin and West Virginia.
Life Wireless offers three plans, a 250 minute plan, a 125 minute plan, and for Oklahoma only an unlimited plan for $1 a month.
250 minute plan: You get 250 minutes a month, but you cannot rollover any of the unused minutes to the next month. Sending or receiving texts will cost you 1/3 of your minutes allowance.
125 minute plan: You get only 125 minutes a month, but you are allowed to rollover any unused minutes to the next month. Sending or receiving texts will cost you 1/3 of your minutes allowance.
Oklahoma plan: There is only one plan for Ohio, but it’s a great one. You have to pay $1 a month, but you get unlimited minutes and texts.
The qualifications to get a phone from Life Wireless are the same as for the other companies in the same states. In general, any of the following qualifies you:
- Low Income Home Energy Assistance Plan (LIHEAP)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Food Stamps
- Section 8 Federal Public Housing Assistance (FPHA)
- Senior Citizen Low-Income Discount Plan (offered by the local gas or power company)
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
- Income at or below 135% of federal poverty level* (proof required)
The Life Wireless cell phone comes with free voicemail, caller id, call waiting, 3-way calling, call forwarding, and has no roaming charges. There are no charges for domestic long distance calls. International calls are allowed, but chargeable.
There is mention on the company’s website of text messaging ability, but we cannot find mention of the cost. If it is like every other vendor, each text message received or sent is charged a portion of the monthly minutes. (We’ve asked and will update this page.)
We do not know if unused minutes rollover each month. (We’ve asked and will update this page.)
If you already have an existing unlocked GSM phone, you can use it and simply order a Life Wireless SIM card. This free SIM card can be inserted into your handset and activated for immediate use.
Website: Life Wireless
Latest News on Life Wireless:
- High demand for free phones meets high temperatures, chaos ensues (7/21/2013)
- High tech innovations stop fraud in free government cell phone program (4/9/2013)
- Free cell phone competition heats up in Arizona: Life Wireless and Assurance Wireless now enter the fray (2/21/2013)
- Minnesota introduces fantastic new way to distribute free government cell phones (7/23/2012)