Care Wireless is a single-state provider of free cell cell phones (through the FCC’s Lifeline Assistance program) for those with low income or on government assistance programs. The only state they currently offer phones in is Illinois.
The company offers only a free plan that gives 250 minutes a month (or 625 text messages). Care Wireless is a brand of PlatinumTel
Wireless, the 3rd oldest prepaid provider in the U.S. Additional minutes of the free amount can be easily added by purchasing PlatinumTel Top-Up Cards/Airtime. This can be done at over 36,000 locations around the country.
The qualifications to get a phone from Tag Mobile are the same as for the other companies in the same states. Any of the following qualifies you:
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Food Stamps
- National School Lunch’s Free Lunch Program (NSL)
- Section 8 Federal Public Housing Assistance (FPHA)
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
- Low Income Home Energy Assistance Plan (LIHEAP)
- Income at or below 135% of federal poverty level* (proof required)
The Care Wireless phone comes with free voicemail, caller id, and call waiting. It is capable of sending and receiving text messaging, but be aware that each one counts as one minute of your airtime. Minutes do not rollover.
P.O. Box 1109
Bridgview, IL 60455
Latest News on Care Wireless: